Hiking to Seguin

Welcome to the path to Seguin! This is probably the most notorious of hikes in Haiti. It can take anywhere from 4-7 hours—depending on how fast you walk. There are alternatives, too, if you’re not up for walking it. You can ride a mule or take a moto all the way to the top (or just when you need a break). On this trip, I chose to walk it…



The winding paths to Seguin take you along trails daily worn in by pack mules and women on their way to the marche with baskets of fresh vegetables. You might even find other travelers making their way up to Seguin, like my friends and I did. The route is a mixture of dirt and stone. Steep inclines and harsh turns make this one ideal for mountain adventurers.



You’ll find all sorts of business transactions taking place because the mountain hike is lined with farmland, boutiques, and homes scattered here and there. I stopped for a chilled bottle of Coca-Cola halfway up. These men are carrying freshly cut calla lilies.



As I wound around dirt and stony pathways, I had an uninhibited view of the vast mountains. Textured slopes and ridges gave me a perspective of just how beautiful the landscape is when you’re visiting Seguin. There are plenty more scenes of mountaintops as you make your way uphill. It’s nice to take a break from the city and its traffic and just escape to the fresh air and endless countryside (which is less than two hours outside of the capital).



There are endless panoramic views. I was taking point-and-shoot snaps, and don’t have much photo knowledge, but the experience in person was breathtaking. There were many moments when I stopped to simply take in the splendor as we journeyed upwards.



Clouds rested on mountaintops on the sunny morning and afternoon we hiked up. I’m a slow hiker, so it took two of my friends and I about seven hours (including breaks) to reach our destination. If you get started early, you can arrive sometime in the afternoon.



Depending on the time of day, the sun’s rays cast shadows from the clouds across the mountains.



Tilled mountain sides stretch across wide expanses. These rich harvests are enjoyed by local households and transported to the capital city. Once in Port-au-Prince, the produce is sold by marchann and in local marche to the many inhabits of the populated city.



Hiking up to Seguin is appealing to avid hikers because of the majestic views, but scenes of carefully cultivated crops add an awe-inspiring dynamic. Can you see the hardworking farmer three fourths of the way up the mountain? Hint: Look for the small sliver of white from his shirt.



Every good photo journey needs flowers, so here are some blue ones camping out with the rest of the greenery.



You’re bound to pass by grazing cattle and horses if you follow the road to Seguin. I never knew I had bad knees until I trekked up and down the road to Seguin (while my good friend lectured me on my poor choice of shoes). Despite my knees bothering me, there was nothing that could compare to the contentment I felt as I breathed in the fresh mountain air; gazed upon the beautiful surroundings; and interacted with others who make the journey regularly.



Once we reached the top of the mountain, the flat walk to Kay Winnie’s was a nice relief after completing the last leg of the mountain: the zig-zag incline. Kay Winnie is famous for offering repo (rest) after the long and taxing hike. My friends and I shared the joy of bottomless mugs of mint tea and grilled racks of lamb. We stayed in a tent, rented by Kay Winnie, but there are cabin options, too. We were well nourished the next morning before we set off for the hike back down.



The trip to Seguin was satisfying, and it’s a great way to enjoy the breathtaking beauty found in Haiti’s nature and landscapes. It also offers a vigorous trek for those who love hiking!

Ashley Lynn

Comments